Basic Competency Index by Discipline and Specialization:
Undergraduate Degrees in Art and Design
A list of specializations for baccalaureate degrees in art and design follows, with each linked to a parallel downloadable PDF enumerating detailed competencies for that specialization. In this way, users of these resources may download only the specific information of interest.
As a reference, the “Basic Competency Index by Discipline and Specialization” and an “Operational Standards Index by Discipline” for NASD, NASM, and NAST may be found on the Council of Arts Accrediting Associations website.
- The lists of competencies are derived from accreditation standards for the professional and liberal arts undergraduate degrees in art and design. Only the NASAD Handbook in its entirety contains all standards and guidelines applicable to and used by all phases of NASAD membership reviews.
- In the competencies texts for each specialization, “H.” indicates the location of the excerpted text in the Handbook; the term “(All)” indicates standards applicable to all professional or liberal arts undergraduate degrees in the specified field including the specialization; “([Area of Specialization])” indicates specific standards for that major.
- To see the full list of specializations, you may review or print the Table of Contents excerpt from the latest edition of the NASAD Handbook.
Art and Design: Professional Undergraduate
Specific Professional Baccalaureate Degrees in Art
Art and Design: Liberal Arts Undergraduate
Please note the following regarding art and design specializations not listed above:
- Art Therapy, Medical Illustration, Art Conservation: Competency and standards statements regarding undergraduate preparation for advanced professional study in these fields may be found in the NASAD Handbook, Standards for Accreditation XIII.
- Creative Multidisciplinary Convergence and Technologies (CMCT): Competency and standards statements regarding various approaches to undergraduate study in these fields may be found in the NASAD Handbook, Appendix I.D.